The Best Portable Apps for Your SoftwareToolbox Essential Apps to Install on your Windows PC or Mac As featured in the book
- The Best Portable Apps for Your SoftwareToolbox
- Essential Apps to Install on your Windows PC orMac
Notepad++ is a free text editor that provides additional features that aren''t included in the standard Windows text editor. It is specially designed for source code editing.
Notepad++, which is fully built on Scintilla, is using the pure Win32 API and STL, which ensures a better execution speed and reduced program size. By optimizing as many routines as possible without losing user friendliness, Notepad++ is attempting to reduce the world''s carbon dioxide emissions. When used with less CPU power, the PC can throttle down and reduce power consumption, resulting in a cleaner environment.
Notepad++ is a powerful version of Notepad, which is aimed at programmers, web designers, and IT professionals. It provides basic IDE capabilities, but retains the familiarity of Notepad, which is Windows'' built-in text editor and very simple word processor.
Notepad++ supports programming languages such as C, C++, Java, XML, Python, CSS, HTML, Ruby, Pascal, and Visual Basic.
Both applications are powerful text editors, but the main difference is that Notepad++ is both open source and free. Sublime Text is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux, and offers a trial version. Another important difference is that Notepad++ is only available on Windows, while Sublime Text is available for free, but it costs $99 per license. It is also worth mentioning that Sublime Text has a free evaluation version that you may use for free, but it will constantly ask you to purchase the license.
Notepad++ is a free (as in "free speech" and "free beer") source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. It is available in the MS Windows environment and requires a GPL license.
This project is still quite successful. However, there may be some bugs and shortcomings that are being addressed. Please include them in the forums if you wish to make a feature request. There is no assurance that I''ll implement your request.
If there''s not a translation in the Binary Translations page, you may try translating Notepad++ into your native tongue. If you wish, further assistance would be greatly appreciated.
- Syntax Highlighting and Syntax Folding
- User Defined Syntax Highlighting
- Regular Expression Search/Replace supported
- Full Drag ''''N'''' Drop supported
- Dynamic position of Views
- File Status Auto-detection
- Zoom in and zoom out
- Multi-Language environment supported
- Brace and Indent guideline Highlighting
- Macro recording and playback
- Update Scintilla from v4.4.6 to v5.2.1 and add Lexilla v5.1.5. (Fix #10504)
- Enhance dark mode support (Shortcut Mapper, autocompletion, calltip, Column Editor and Style configurator, Preferences dialog, etc) (Fix #11530, #11522, #11407, #11514, #11506, #11497)
- Fix losing characters issue after case-conversion (UPPER/lower). (Fix #11463)
- Fix "Sort Lines as Integer" not considering negative number issue. (Fix #11023, #2025)
- Sort languages alphabetically automatically in Style Configurator. (Fix #11337)
- Fix flashing box (autocompletion empty list) appears while typing issue. (Fix #9433)
- Scrolling Document List automatically to make the selected tab item visible. (Fix #11204)
- Make Find in Files search result line number aligned. (Fix #11119)
- Add default A-Z sorting ability in Function list. (Fix #11446)
- Add virtual space ability. (Fix #11443, #11444)
- Fix document being wrongly marked as saved bug after converting its encoding. (Fix #11436)
- Fix Document list not sync with tab order after sorting. (Fix #11272)
- Fix file saving critical bug under Symantec encryption desktop. (Fix #11339)
- Fix cropped text in Shortcut mapper''''s status area issue. (Fix #10358)
- Enhance installer: Remember the chosen language in the previous installation. (Implement #10582)
- Improve Find/Replace Dialog layout. (Fix #11318)
- Update NSIS & Inno Setup keyword lists.
Note: Notepad++ 7.9.2 is the last version to run on Windows XP.