You Never Know About Growing Your Tax Refund

You Never Know About Growing Your Tax Refund ...

| | | | |

For more information on the third coronavirus relief package, please visit our "" blog post.

If you start a job, your employer may request to complete. This tells your employer how much federal income tax to withdraw from your paycheck. Depending on how much income you receive from the W-4, the more or less tax will be withheld. Having less taken out will give you bigger paychecks, but a smaller tax refund (or possibility no tax refund or a tax bill at the end of the year).

When it comes to complete your W-4, here are a few things to keep an eye on.

  • Claiming credits such as the and the Other Dependent Credit will decrease the amount of your withholding
  • Adjusting for more withholding if you have additional income from a second job or investments
  • Adjusting for less withholding if you are expecting to claim itemized deductions rather than the standard deductions
  • Any additional income tax you would like withheld from each paycheck

More income on your W-4 will result in lower paychecks, since additional tax will be withheld. This increases your chances of over-withholding, which may result in a bigger tax refund. It's also called a "refund": you are just getting back money that you did not pay to the IRS during the year.

You'll be getting certain credits or deductions, which will result in bigger paychecks and possibly a lesser refund (or perhaps owing additional tax).

You may also use a microphone to help you estimate what you should enter on your W-4.

The possibility of a refund may be influenced by choosing the ones that best fits your needs.

  • Your standard deduction
  • Your filing requirements
  • The credits you are eligible to receive
  • The amount of tax you pay or the refund you receive

There are five criteria to choose from, but the most common are:

  • married filing jointly or
  • single

TurboTax may assist you in determining which option is most beneficial to your situation.

TheStreet Recommends

TurboTax Tip: Even if you don't owe taxes, you may still get a refund.

Working families, individuals, self-employed, and others who have a moderate to low income may qualify for the EITC. The amount of taxes owed may be reduced and you may qualify for a tax refund.

  • Have a valid Social Security number
  • Be a U.S. citizen, a year-long resident alien or a nonresident alien married to an American citizen, or a resident alien filing jointly
  • Have income from self-employment, from an employer, or from working on a farm
  • Not be a claimed dependent or child of another person
  • Have a qualifying child and be between the ages of 25 and 65, living in the U.S. for at least half the year

Even if you pay no taxes, you must submit a tax return to receive the EITC.

The payout is based on a percentage of the amount you paid for the care of a qualifying child or dependent.

The total expenses you may claim for the tax year 2020 are capped at $3,000 for one eligible individual and $6,000 for two or more individuals. If your employer is offering dependent care benefits, you are required to deduct this amount.

The plan for 2021 will greatly improve the amount and how the child and dependent care tax credit can be applied. It will lower the amount of expenses eligible for the credit, reduces the credit due to income levels, and makes the credit fully refundable. This means that unlike other years, you may still receive the credit even if you don't have to pay taxes.

For the tax year 2021 (taxes you file in 2022):

  • The amount of qualifying expenses increases from $3,000 to $8,000 for one qualifying person and from $6,000 to $16,000 for two or more qualifying individuals
  • The percentage of qualifying expenses eligible for the credit increases from 35% to 50%
  • The beginning of the reduction of the credit is increased from $15,000 to $125,000 of adjusted gross income (AGI).

The maximum amount that may be paid to a dependent care flexible spending account for the tax year 2021 is increased from $5,000 to $10,500.

A qualifying person is:

  • Your child who is under 13 years of age
  • A dependent who is physically or mentally incapable of self-care and who lives with you for more than half the year, or
  • Your spouse who is incapable of self-care and lives with you for more than half the year

Other criteria must be fulfilled in order to claim the credit.

  • If youre married, you are required to file a joint return.
  • You cant use a caregiver who is a spouse or parent of the child, your child under 19 years of age, or another of your dependents.
  • Each qualifying dependent and child must have a Social Security number added to your return.
  • You must provide the name, address, and Social Security number of your caregiver.

Use to ensure you don't miss any of the deductions or credits you deserve, so you can get your biggest refund.

You may also like: