SEOUL, April 15 (Reuters) - The US ambassador for North Korea will travel to Seoul next week for talks with South Korean counterparts to discuss the international reaction to the North's recent intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM) launches. The State Department said the news.
Sung Kim, the United States' special representative, said he will speak with North Korea at any time and without prior notice, but Pyongyang has so far denied the overtures, accusing Washington of adopting offensive policies such as sanctions and military exercises.
For the first time since 2017, a North Korean missile launch was fired, and officials in the United States and South Korea have identified signs it is also planning to resume nuclear weapons testing.
During a five-day trip starting Monday, Kim and his deputy, Jung Pak, will meet with South Korean officials, including nuclear envoy Noh Kyu-duk, according to the State Department.
As they "seek to advance complete denuclearization and permanent peace on the Korean Peninsula," the US and South Korean express express their commitment to ongoing enticing collaboration on North Korean issues.
According to a Reuters draft resolution, the United States is urging the United Nations Security Council to further sanction North Korea for its new ballistic missile launches. It also prohibits tobacco and prohibits oil exports to the country, and blacklists the Lazarus hacking group.
Yoon Suk-yeol, a South Korean leader who is expected to take office on May 10, has called for strong relationships with the United States to deter the North.
On Thursday, his nominee for unification minister, who handles relations with the North, said a Yoon administration might be "difficult" and "hawkish" as it sought to strengthen its military capability to deter North Korean threats, but he intends to establish momentum for dialogue to defuse tensions.