The suspect in a subway attack has been sentenced to prison without bail

The suspect in a subway attack has been sentenced to prison without bail ...

NEW YORK At his first court appearance, on subway riders on a train in Brooklyn was ordered to be released without bail, and the judge told them he feared all of New York City.

A subdued Frank R. James, 62, was questioned fairly whether he understood the charges and the purpose of the brief hearing. His lawyer later asked the public not to prejudge him.

Upon arriving at a police tip line to say where he was on Wednesday, the suspect was arrested in Manhattan, a day after the nightmarish rush hour attack left ten people with gunshot wounds and wounded countless others wishing for their safety on the nation's busiest subway system.

Authorities say he fired smoke bombs and dozens of bullets on a train full of morning commuters. He's charged with a federal terrorism offense that applies to mass transit projects, but authorities say there's currently no evidence linking him to terrorist organizations, and they are still trying to deduce the motive.

The defendant slain passengers on a crowded subway train in a manner that the city hasn't seen in over 20 years, said Assistant State Attorney Sara K. Winik. The defendant's attack was premeditated, was meticulously planned, and caused rage among the victims and our entire city.

The ten gunshot victims, who range in age from 16 to 60, are expected to survive.

Outside of the courtroom, defense attorney Mia Eisner-Grynberg cautioned against "a rush to judgment."

"Initial reports in a case like this are often inaccurate," she said. James alerted police to his location 30 hours after a manhunt that included cellphone alerts to the general public.

Once he knew he was wanted, "he called Crime Stoppers to assist," Eisner-Grynberg said.

She had agreed to hold him without bail at any time. His attorneys may request bail later on.

Magistrate Roanne Mann said she would request James to receive "psychiatric treatment" as well as magnesium tablets for leg cramps, during the federal lockup in Brooklyn.

Authorities say a trove of evidence relates to James' attack. His bank card, his cellphone, and a key to a van he had rented were found at the scene; authorities also discovered the firearm they claimed was used in the attack. In 2011, James purchased the firearm from a licensed gun dealer in Ohio.

Prosecutors suggested that he had the capability to execute more attacks, implying that he had ammunition and other firearms in a Philadelphia storage facility.

The native of New York City lived in Milwaukee and Philadelphia over the years.

Investigators were looking into several hours of videos that the suspect posted on social media as recently as Monday, in which he talked profanity-laced diatribes about racism, society's treatment of Black people, homelessness, and violence. He also discussed his history of psychiatric therapy, and said that New York's mayor is dealing with homeless people on subways and gun violence.

In court papers, prosecutors said he talked about shooting people.

You may also like: