After retaliation, Nadal is happy to be back in the race again
Rafa Nadal said on Saturday that he is confident in his ability to survive injury and illness and is excited about competing at the Australian Open.
After a four-month absence, the 35-year-old Spaniard won his 89th career title last week at an ATP 250 tune-up event in Melbourne.
Following an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi, he had to put his preparations ahead of the Australian Open.
Nadal, who was "very sick" for a few days, wants to all-around tennis in 2022.
"I was able to return to the Tour just as I wanted," Nadal told reporters. "That's the most important thing.
"If I can win matches, I'm able to improve every single day, and I'm looking forward to playing again in a Grand Slam in Australia.
"Just enjoying the practices and be back and feel myself again a professional tennis player. I'm doing some good tennis," says the coach.
Nadal, who is tied with Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer for a men's record 20 major titles, was knocked out of Roland Garros in the semi-finals last year and was forced to withdraw from Wimbledon and the US Open due to a fracture.
While uncertain about his fitness for best-of-five sets matches, Nadal believes his fitness is his top priority.
"I just want to go day by day," Nadal said, who will face Marcos Giron in the opening round. "But practices are helpful. Every day I spend on court, I think it's positive."
"Every match that I am able to win, it's very important for my confidence, it's very important for my physical performance, and you never know what can happen later.
"I want to give myself a chance to continue enjoying this beautiful sport, to continue fighting for the things that I have been fighting for for the last 16 years."