In an ominous Twitter post, an accusated Oxford High School shooter called self-destroyer of worlds, according to a lawsuit
The appeal against Oxford Community Schools administrators and contains new details alleging that the horror of No. 30, 2021 was entirely preventable.
Ethan Crumbley, 15, was charged with opening fire on his classmates on the night before, killing four people and injuring six others, as well as a teacher, in the amended federal lawsuit.
According to the complaint, Now I am becoming [sic] Death, the destroyer of worlds.
The previously public social media accounts of Crumbley, including Twitter, have been reopened or reopened.
Geoffrey N. Fieger and the Fieger, Fieger, Kenney & Harrington law firm initially filed the lawsuit on December 9 with the amended version, which included previously unpublished information and evidence that was revealed by Oakland County Prosecutor Karen McDonald.
The lawsuit names the school district, Dean of Students Ryan Moore, two counselors, two teachers, and a staff member. administrators for "gross negligence" in their failure to intervene before the shooting.
The complaint relates to the "several" severed birds' heads being submerged in a yellow liquid contained in a Mason jar that Crumbley is accused of transporting to school on November 11, and leaving on a toilet paper dispenser in the boys' bathroom.
The topic of the decapitated birds was discussed during a criminal hearing for the teen's parents, James and Jennifer Crumbley, who are currently detained pending trial and are accused of four counts of involuntary manslaughter.
He did this at the family home, said Oakland County Assistant Prosecutor Marc Keast at. Not only did he film the actions, but he kept a severed head from a bird that he had tortured and mutilated in a jar in his bedroom for six months.
After Crumbley discarded the heads in the boys' bathroom, the lawsuit claims it was reported to administrators, who on the following day emailed this message to parents: Please know that we have reviewed every concern shared with us and investigated all information provided... We want our parents and students to know that there has been no danger to our building nor our students.
It's unclear if the incident was reported to the Sheriffs Office of Oakland County, or if there was a deputy who is assigned as the law enforcement liaison.
The Oakland County Sheriffs Office claims there were multiple incidents involving Crumbley, which involved a deputy to the school to be the law enforcement liaison.
Curtis D. Childs, an Oakland County undersheriff, said the liaison knew of the incident involving bird heads.
Soon after the attack, Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard said there were no known disciplinary issues involving Crumbley, or indications that he intended violence.
Childs disputes the claim and said, it was only after the shooting during the collection of evidence that Crumbley was involved in the bird heads incident.
The lawsuit claims that the principal and superintendent knew of those statements that Crumbley made on social media before the 30th of November.
According to the lawsuit, I know its been investigated, but my kid doesnt feel safe at school. He didnt even want to return to school today. One parent said in a letter to Principal Wolf on November 16 regarding violent messages swirling on social media.
On the same day, the principal wrote a second mass email to parents, saying: I know Im being redundant here, but there is absolutely no danger at the (high school). Assumptions were made from a few social media posts, then the assumptions evolved into exaggerated rumors.
Crumbley said on the eve of the shooting that he brought live ammunition to class and showed it to classmates before being caught by a teacher perusing ammo on his cell phone.
The plaintiff does not state that the teacher saw Crumbleys ammunition. The teacher recommended that a counselor meet about the inappropriate use of his cell phone in the school, but the lawsuit did not state that it was reported to the school sheriff.
According to prosecutions, Steff left a voicemail for and emailed Jennifer Crumbley about the ammunition search. Next time, dont get caught, is the text message Jenifer Crumbley later sent her son.
According to the lawsuit, there were recent posts from Crumbley that depicted or referenced the gun he accused of using as an early Christmas gift to their son.
After Ethan Crumbley was captured looking for and watching violent shooting videos on his phone, a prosecutor said he was sent to the office and an emergency hearing was held. Crumbley, his parents, Moore, the dean of students, Principal Wolf, two counselors, and another staff member were all on the staff.
Officials have ordered the Crumbleys to make sure their son received counseling within 48 hours, but allowed him to return to class with his backpack that the lawsuit claimed was violated school policy and that investigators believed the gun contained the weapon, and that Crumbley opened fire two hours later.
Ethan Crumbley's backpack was mattered in the lawsuit, according to the school staff.
The lawsuit contends that CPS would have investigated Ethan Crumbley and advised the students at Oxford High School of his imminent threats.
According to the complaint, the staff who are listed as defendants gave Ethan Crumbley the opportunity to go to the bathroom, with his backpack, and thus he could be able to commit his acts of violence. Ethan Crumbley has given permission to carry out his acts of violence, increasing the risk that (other students) will be exposed to Ethan Crumbleys acts of violence.
Jeffrey and Brandi Franz of Leonard and their daughters, Riley, a 17-year-old senior honor roll student who was shot in the neck, and Isabella, a 14-year-old ninth-grader who narrowly escaped and watcher her sister and other classmates being shot and killed.
MLive contacted Oxford High School for comment on the amended lawsuit and other information but did not receive a response.
A second school resource officer from the Oakland County Sheriffs Office has been assigned to the school and there is a general increase in law enforcement, according to Childs.
On January 20, a hearing on whether or not a defense request for the civil lawsuit to be dismissed will be held at 9 a.m.
Ethan Crumbley has been arraigned and pleaded not guilty to 24 counts of first-degree murder. His parents remain jailed, each on $500,000 bonds, as they await a preliminary hearing in the Rochester Hills 52nd district court on February 8.
Madisyn Baldwin, 17, Tate Myre, 16, Hana St. Juliana, 14, and Justin Shilling, 17 were among the four people killed in the shooting.
Read the full amended civil complaint:
Scribd is a writer.
More on MLive: