A group of activist activists in Peru who blocked the main bus route used in the Las Bambas copper mine will open the route until at least Dec. 30 after negotiations with the government, an adviser told Reuters on Wednesday.
The blockade, established over a month ago, snarled the mine's production, which produces about 2% of the global copper production, and created an important issue for the leftist president Pedro Castillo.
"We're giving them a truce. Today in the afternoon, we're going to make a announcement, and that we will leave the road until the 30th of this month," said Victor Villa, the protesting Chumbivilcas.
The president said that politicians did not deliver for the area in the past but promised to give it a shot.
He said that it's possible the road could remain clear after Dec. 30, but it would depend on the agreed agreed to in a planned visit to the area by Mirtha Vasquez.
Las Bambas declined to comment. The mine, which led to the collapse last week, closed its operation but still, is not yet a report to the newspaper and it's unclear if it's going to resume them under these conditions.
Many staff complained that blockades leave their employees trapped in the mine.
The Las Bambas mine was a strong protestor's opportunity. In 2016, the blockades have been hitting the road for over 400 days.
Vasquez made a great push on protesting communities to clear the road, but was vague about the consequences of not doing so. She hasn't declared that a state of emergency declaration, but said she prefers to scold dialogue.
We have the standard.