Meghan Markle Has Published An Appeal To The Court To Protect Her Friends
The case of the Duchess of Sussex against the publisher Associated Newspapers, which published a personal letter from the wife of Prince Harry addressed to her father in 2018, continues in a British court. After the scandalous publication, five friends of Meghan on condition of anonymity and, as Markle assures, not at Her request, gave comments to the publication People, in which they spoke in her defense. Now Associated Newspapers plans to call the names of five of these friends. Wanting to prevent this, Megan addressed the court with an emotional statement.
"Associated Newspapers, owner of the Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday, is threatening to publish the names of five women — five individuals — who decided to speak anonymously to the American media more than a year ago to protect me from bullying by British tabloids.
These five women are not on trial, and neither am I. The publisher of the Mail on Sunday is on trial. It was this publisher who acted illegally and is now trying to evade responsibility, to distract from the essence of the matter — the Mail on Sunday illegally published my personal letter.
Each of these women is a private person, a young mother, and each of them has the right to privacy. The Mail on Sunday and the court have obtained their names on condition of confidentiality, but Mail on Sunday wants to make them public for the sole reason of clickbait and commercial gain. This is cruel and a threat to their emotional and mental well-being. Mail on Sunday is playing a media game with real lives.
I respectfully ask the court to treat this legal matter with due sensitivity and not allow the publisher of the Mail on Sunday to set a precedent and abuse the judicial process by releasing the names of these anonymous individuals."
The response from the publisher was not long in coming. A spokesman for Associated Newspapers explained the tabloid's position: "the Mail on Sunday had no intention of publishing the names of five friends. But their testimony forms the basis of the case, and we see no reason why their identities should be kept secret. That is why we told the Duchess's lawyers last week that the issue of their privacy should be properly considered by the court."
Sources close to Meghan told us media that they are convinced that the threat to publish names from the Mail on Sunday has nothing to do with the case, their goal is "to make five innocent women targets of harassment through the pages of their Newspapers and websites." In addition, the source continues: "Lawyers for the Mail on Sunday have launched a brazen challenge to the Duchess to seek additional legal action that would try to stop them and delay the case. Otherwise, they will publish the names."
Lawyers for the Duchess are confident that the publication is acting to intimidate the Duchess and her friends: "for several months, the publisher of the Mail on Sunday has tried to manipulate the narrative behind this case in its own interests by creating scandalous headlines and false stories aimed at clickbait. The Duchess, on the other hand, remained silent and only provided the necessary legal documents." According to the prosecution, publishing the names of the Duchess's friends would lead to the Mail on Sunday releasing their life stories with personal details and thus giving other publications the green light to follow their example.
The decision to issue an injunction against the publication of the names of friends of the Duchess will be made at an upcoming hearing.