New Delhi And Beijing Agree Not To Violate The Status Quo At The Border
India and China have agreed not to violate the status quo on the line of actual control separating the two countries to prevent incidents in the border zone. As the Indian Foreign Ministry said on its official website on Monday, the agreement was reached during a telephone conversation between the Indian Prime Minister's national security adviser Ajit Doval and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi.
"They [the negotiators] reaffirmed that both sides should strictly observe the line of actual control and should not take any unilateral actions to change the status quo, as well as work together to avoid any incidents in the future that could disrupt peace and calm in the border areas," the message reads.
It is noted that Ajit Duval and Wang Yi also agreed that the diplomatic and military representatives of both sides should continue discussions, including within the framework of the working mechanism for consultations and coordination on the Indian-Chinese border issues, and implement the agreements reached in a timely manner.
"It was also agreed that the two special representatives will continue their discussions in order to ensure complete and lasting peace and calm in the India-China border areas in accordance with bilateral agreements and protocols," the Indian Foreign Ministry said.
As previously reported by the Chinese Foreign Ministry, Wang Yi and Ajit Duval agreed to speed up the process of withdrawing troops at the border during a telephone conversation on Monday. According to the Chinese Foreign Ministry, these measures will be taken to quickly normalize the situation and prevent clashes in the future.
The situation on the border
The situation in Ladakh escalated after clashes involving about 250 Chinese and Indian soldiers took place there in early May. More than 100 people on both sides were injured.
On the night of June 15-16, new skirmishes between the Indian and Chinese military took place in the Galvan river area of the allied territory of Ladakh. According to sources in the Indian Armed forces, firearms were not used, but the parties used batons with nails. At least 20 Indian soldiers were killed and 76 were injured. The Indian side also claims that about 45 Chinese soldiers were killed and injured in the clashes.
As reported on Monday, the Indian TV channel NDI-ti-VI, India, and China made a mutual withdrawal of troops from disputed territories on the border, but this probably affected only the valley of the Galvan river in the allied territory of Ladakh. According to him, the parties are also dismantling temporary structures built in the border zone and moving away from the line of actual control that separates India and China. The sources do not specify how far the military personnel is being withdrawn from it.