Hot topics | Coronavirus pandemic

Phoenix Mercury win 91-86 overtime against the Chicago Sky to reach the WNBA Finals

Phoenix Mercury win 91-86 overtime against the Chicago Sky to reach the WNBA Finals

Brittney Griner scored 29 points, Diana Taurasi scored eight of her 20 points in overtime, and the Phoenix Mercury extended the WNBA Finals with a 91-86 win over the Chicago Sky on Wednesday night.

Griner scored her second playoff dunk in the first quarter to keep the Mercury within striking distance of Chicago during a sluggish start and brought the Phoenix Suns players sitting courtside to their feet with her first career double-double. Courtney Vandersloots tying layup with 4.4 seconds left gave Phoenix a late 4-point lead in regulation, but she missed completing.

Taurasi opened overtime with a 4-point play and added squat 3-pointer that put Phoenix up 89-86 with 1:24 remaining. She then made a huge defensive play, getting dribble with 36 seconds left.

Skylar Diggins-Smith, who had 13 points and 12 assists, sealed it on a layup with 12.8 seconds left.

Vandersloot led the Sky with 20 points and 14 assists. Allie Quigley added 19 points.

Game 3 will take place in Chicago on Friday.

Chicago overcame some early fears and took advantage of the short-handed and fatigued to win Game 1, 91-77. Candace Parker scored 16 points while Kahleah Copper scored 21 points.

Phoenix was without guards Kia Nurse (torn ACL) and Sophie Cunningham (calf), and had to play two days after winning its semifinal series in Las Vegas.

Cunningham was back in the lineup after missing three games, but was disjointed early. The Mercury had more prep time and Cuingham re-entered the team after being out for three.

Chicago, one of the WNBA's top offensive teams, was at its free-flowing best, its crisp passing setting up open looks. To take an early 9-point lead, The Sky hit 7 of their first 12 shots.

Phoenix visited Griner early and often. The 6-foot-9 center scored an early dunk after the Sky inexplicably left her alone in the lane, bringing the Suns players to their feet, and had 14 points by halftime.

Cunningham hit a pair of 3-pointers to bring the Mercury back from the early deficit, and Cunessham added another after completing. During halftime, Phoenix pulled even at 40-all.

Chicago resurrected its offense again to begin the third quarter, gaining a 7-point lead. The Mercury regained the lead in the fourth quarter when Phoenix reversed their actions by passing the ball back into Griner.

You may also like: