The State Department Confirmed Its Commitment To Protecting Diplomatic Missions After The Shooting At The Cuban Embassy
The State Department confirms its obligations to ensure the security of foreign diplomatic missions, after the incident with the shooting of the Cuban Embassy in Washington.
"We can confirm that the Cuban Embassy in Washington tonight was shelled, no one was injured. The Embassy reported damage to the building, the Ministry said. - The identity of the assailant is established. The [state Department] diplomatic security service, the Secret service, the Bureau of alcohol, tobacco, weapons, and explosives, and the Washington police are conducting a joint investigation."
"According to the Vienna Convention on diplomatic relations, we assume responsibility for ensuring the security of missions from incursions, damage, and threats," the state Department said.
On Thursday night, a man opened fire at the Cuban Embassy in Washington. No one was injured, but the building was damaged. As noted earlier in the police, near the diplomatic mission was parked, probably associated with the suspect SUV, inside which was found an American flag and a white mask. According to the TASS correspondent in the Metropolitan police, the identity of the shooter was established, it was a 42-year-old resident of Texas. He has now been remanded in custody and charged with "assault with intent to murder."
Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla described the attack on the Embassy building as a terrorist act. Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel said that he expects the results of the investigation from the US authorities and calls for compliance with the obligations to protect the diplomatic mission.
The work of the Cuban Embassy in the United States was resumed in 2015 after the restoration of bilateral diplomatic relations between the countries under the previous American administration led by former President Barack Obama.