Where Are Waco ATF Agents Now? Jim Cavanaugh and Bill Buford: Where Are They Now?

Where Are Waco ATF Agents Now? Jim Cavanaugh and Bill Buford: Where Are They Now? ...

'Waco: American Apocalypse' is capable of being described in every way as both haunting, heartbreaking, and devastating. That's because it includes exclusive interviews with nearly everyone involved in the 1993 confrontation between the federal authorities and the Branch Davidians group. Among them were actually Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) Agents Jim Cavanaugh and Bill Buford.

What Has Happened to Jim Cavanaugh?

James "Jim" Cavanaugh, a native of New Jersey, gained the right reputation of being a top law enforcement officer when he applied for a job at ATF just a few years later, just to kickstart his federal career in the varied city of Nashville, Tennessee. He reportedly spent eight years working for Washington's Explosive Division and Special Operations Division.

Jim was appointed assistant special agent in Dallas, Texas, a short while after, and soon returned to Washington HQ to take over the position of Deputy Chief for the Explosive Division. From there, the high-level Agent headed the Birmingham Division, which he then headed until he simply couldn't anymore.

Jim had a significant role in several high-profile cases throughout his three-decade career, including the 2002 Washington sniper raid, the 1993 Waco siege, and the 5-year hunt for 1990s bomber Eric Rudolph. Therefore, today, even though the 70-year-old has long withdrawn from the field, he continues to speak out against gun laws in several publications across the country. Moreover, the proud family man currently lives in Tennessee, where he serves as a law enforcement analyst for NBC News.

What Has Happened to Bill Buford?

Bill chose to withdraw from the University of Kansas despite having a full-ride football scholarship to serve in the Army in the 1960s, only to discover that this road would soon take him down a different road than he expected. He even went through extensive special forces training before getting wounded six times, and his intention thus became to keep improving every step of the way.

Bill reportedly returned home around 1966 after a year of combat, only to return for more intense training with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. He spent the following year training upcoming agents, only to have everything turned upside down when the religious sect was shot.

Bill was right at the front lines of this menacing day as well, causing him to sustain the effects with several bullets all over his body — so it's a miracle he's still alive today. It was also his unwavering loyalty and determination that led him to succeed on the job.

Bill established the Arkansas State Police Bomb Squad after his retirement, indicating that he has truly settled down in this state. All the while still serving law enforcement through public speaking or teaching officers how to stay calm when they're hurt.

You may also like: