What Has Happened to Trina Langenbrunner's Body? What Happened to Joseph Couture?

What Has Happened to Trina Langenbrunner's Body? What Happened to Joseph Couture? ...

'Murder In The Heartland: Killer on the Res,' a documentary by Investigation Discovery, chronicles the brutal murder of 33-year-old Trina Langenbrunner in Cloquet, Minnesota, in September 2000. The investigation took more than a decade before they were able to catch the perpetrator, based on new forensic techniques and testimony from confidential witnesses.

Trina Langenbrunner's Death: What Was It?

Trina Louise Langenbrunner was a member of the Fond Du Lac Band of Ojibwe and lived in Cloquet, Minnesota, in September 2000. Todd Jr. had three children, both daughters, Shela and Shelly, who both said, "She was the sweetest, kindest lady I've ever known."

Gail Mularie, Trina's cousin, talked about growing up together and describing her as someone who could "light up a room." Trina was employed as a home health advocate and had married a non-Native man, Shawn, on the early morning of September 3, 2000.

Trina, a 33-year-old mother of three, was brutally beat and stabbed to death, according to a police coroner. The culprit had also set a fire to her chest, with burned matches near the body.

Trina Langenbrunner, who died?

Trina was last seen hitchhiking in the vicinity of Brookston Road about six miles from where her body was discovered, according to Shela. Shela explained her grandmother filed a missing person complaint with a cousin who was an officer at the Cloquet Police Department.

Gail Mularie claims Shawn had isolated Trina after their marriage because she was concerned about his culture and abusive nature. According to her, Trina's husband was the primary suspect in her death. She said she does not want her to divorce him.

When Robert Nordrum, a sheet metal worker, and his cousin, Jimmy Nordrum, came forward with crucial information, he claimed they saw Trina in the vicinity of Brookston Road about 1am on September 3rd. Jimmy decided not to let Trina inside the vehicle, and sped away.

The police found it difficult to verify their statements and classified Jimmy as a suspect because he was one of the few people to see Trina alive on September 4. Shawn claimed to have last seen Trina on September 3 and his friend said she wanted to visit him.

Shawn claimed that he tried to defy her, though she sounded adamant, but never showed up. Nevertheless, he confessed to the cops about hitting her during their marriage. Other suspects were identified such as Shawn's cousin, Billy, who allegedly had an affair with Trina, and Trina's boyfriend, who was later seen with her on the night of the murder.

On September 5, the cops interviewed John to learn that he was out drinking that night and had returned home at around 1:30am after having a few drinks. Joseph agreed to provide his DNA to the police with the other suspects, but the case became cold after two confidential witnesses claimed Joseph was Trina's killer.

What Has Happened to Joseph Couture?

Joseph was reported to have returned with blood about 2-2:30 am on September 3, 2000. He had burned down his bloody clothes and thrown the knife into a nearby water body. The police had Joseph's DNA on their files before they decided to check for a match again. This time, they discovered Joseph's DNA to be identical to samples obtained from the crime scene on June 15, 2012.

Joseph, Trina's former neighbor admitted he saw her on the night of her murder and offered her a ride. But he refused to take her to Grand Rapids or ask her to get down when she allegedly attacked him with a knife, according to the prosecution.

The prosecution dropped the sexual assault charge as part of the plea bargain. In July 2013, he was sentenced to 32 years and two months in prison on the murder conviction and seven years and two months in jail on the witness-tampering charge, to be served one after the other.

Sandra was also sentenced to 91-2 years in prison for assisting and abetting a first-degree aggravated witness tampering and aiding and abetting a first-degree arson in April 2013. According to court records, John had requested to be released in 2038.

You may also like: