The US Will Ban The Work Of Chinese Telecommunications Companies In The Event Of A Security Threat
The US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) on Friday said it could ban the activities of three state-controlled Chinese telecommunications companies in the US, arguing that it allegedly poses a threat to the national security of the United States, US media reported, citing Chairman Ajit Paya.
The FCC has issued orders to China Telecom Americas, China Unicom Americas, Pacific Networks Corp, and its wholly-owned subsidiary ComNet (USA) LLC instructing them to explain why it should not begin the process of revoking permits for their operations in the US.
"We simply can't take any chances and hope for the best when it comes to the security of our networks," Paya's statement reads.
He noted that these Chinese companies received permission to work in the United States more than a decade ago. Since then, he said, "the national security and law enforcement risks associated with the Chinese government's activities have increased significantly."
The FCC orders also refer to "the sophistication and consequent damage of the Chinese government's involvement in computer intrusions and attacks against the United States," but do not cite specific cases, according to media reports that read that this move by the US authorities is evidence of a further deterioration in US-Chinese relations.