Microsoft has announced that it will release its first "moment" update in October alongside the Windows 11 2022 Update (version 22H2).
Moments are new type updates that will allow the team to roll out new features and improvements as soon as they are ready outside of major releases. You may think of them as "feature drop" updates for mobile devices.
The company is expected to include tabs for File Explorer, Suggested Actions, and others in the first "moment."
New features added during the Windows 11 22H2 update
Here are a few highlights from the Windows 11 22H2 upgrade in October 2022:
- File Explorer – Tabs in File Explorer to organize your workflow like in the browser. The update will also bring a new Home page and a new navigation pane.
- Taskbar Overflow – This is a new entry point to an overflow menu that allows you to view all your overflowed apps in one space.
- Share to more devices – This will allow you to discover and share to more devices, including desktops using nearby share.
- Suggested Actions on Copy – Copy phone numbers and future dates and get suggested actions such as making a call with Teams or Skype or adding an event in the Calendar app.
- Photos app – A new version of the app will introduce a new photos-managing experience that brings a gorgeous gallery, simplifying browsing, finding, management, and consumption of your collection of photos. It also allows you to easily backup your photos with OneDrive and enjoy powerful experiences on Windows devices, and offers a delightful “Memories” experience.
During the company's monthly update schedules, these new features will be shipped through Windows Update and others through the Microsoft Store.
Windows 11 will continue to receive yearly feature updates, according to the company, which means that throughout the year, we'll see changes of new features through non-security updates (roughly four times a year). During the second half of the year, we can also expect a new feature update with more significant changes like version 22H2.